Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Handling a very heavy steel beam

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 19/12/2007 10:57, wrote:

2. From memory, the spec given by the engineer was around 120kg per M
- would that sound correct?

Sounds too high.

You say it's 30cm tall and wide, I assume it's an "I" shape and so is
essentially 3 strips, 30cm width, assume 1cm thick, taking the density of
steel at 7.8g/cm^3

3[sides of the I] x 30cm x 1cm x 100cm x 7.8g/cm^3 = about 70kg/m
or 490kg for the lot (1cm thickness is probably overstated)

That was essentially exactly my original calculation barring the slight
adjustment to the height of the central section given the thickness of the
base and top (28cm not 30 cm).
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines