Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default Handling a very heavy steel beam

wrote in message
Hi,

We are having work done on our house and it involves a big and heavy
steel beam to support most of the back of the house. It is probably
about 1000kg and 7m long (300mm x 300mm).

Firstly a quick calc shows it shouldn't weigh anything like that much. No
more than half a ton even if it's made from 1cm thick metal. Maybe
considerably less. It's simple enough to work out if you have the exact
dimensions.

The builder and I are trying to figure out the best/ easiest/ most
cost effective way of getting the beam from the lorry at the front of
the house to the back of the house then up onto the steel columns that
will be supporting it. The beam will be at first floor level (i.e.
approx 2.5m from the ground).

Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks in advance for your help.

Lee.

It should be easy enough to roll it round the back on skates or even bits of
scaffold tube and then use a block and tackle (or two) to hoist it.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines