Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Handling a very heavy steel beam

wrote
Hi,

We are having work done on our house and it involves a big and heavy
steel beam to support most of the back of the house. It is probably
about 1000kg and 7m long (300mm x 300mm).

The builder and I are trying to figure out the best/ easiest/ most
cost effective way of getting the beam from the lorry at the front of
the house to the back of the house then up onto the steel columns that
will be supporting it. The beam will be at first floor level (i.e.
approx 2.5m from the ground).

Any thoughts on how to resolve this would be gratefully appreciated.

I would have thought that this is something the builder would have come
across before.
If you can find enough "cylindrical" objects of the same diameter, you could
use the old "roll it on a few logs" approach!
Believe it or not, I moved an engine some distance on a dozen or so pool
cues many years ago!
A lot depends on the "smoothness" of the terrain.
I have also installed a skid mounted process module using hired roller
skates - industrial versions are available with capacities of many tonnes.
You may be able to smooth out the pathway by "leapfrogging" plywood sheets.

For installing the beam I see three options:

Position the columns and lift the beam into place.
Assemble the columns and beam on the ground and winch them upright into
place.
Position the columns, then raise the beam by jacking and packing alongside
the final position then slide it across into place.

Outline suggestions only
Plenty of detail to be filled in.
No liability accepted etc etc

Phil