Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

Default Cutting bolt with minimal heat

wrote:

Hi all,
Iīve the following situation: 4 mm mild steel plate in which I made 6
mm holes with thread. In these holes I put bolts which I first dipped
in epoxy to fix them in position and seal the thread waterproof. I
screw the bolts in only for the thinkness of the plate, so a large
part of the bolt and head is above the plate. After the epoxy is cured
I cut the bolts with the angle grinder and grind what is left of it
down until itīs surface is flush with the plate. The problem: cutting
the bolt makes it really hot and the epoxy is only capable of
withstanding temperatures up to 150 deg c. Above this it burns and
does not seal anymore. What I tried to do is spray water onto the bolt
while cutting. It seems to keep the proces a lot colder, but also
somehow the cutting becomes slower with the water. Does anyone have a
suggestion how to do the cutting and/or the cooling differently,
better?
greets, Joost Jager

Why not buy socket head grub screws? You could epoxy them in flush then
fill the socket with epoxy. Job done, no grinding required.

Tom