Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in

..
There is NO nation on Earth that has successfully banned guns.
They all still have gun crimes.
And when you try to cite different rates,you neglect cultural
differences. You cannot just compare raw rates.(unless you are
dishonest or ignorant)

Do you have any accurate information on this? I have been asking
for
some time. The information I have found has shown lower rates for
those countries with gun controls.

Again,you cannot compare raw rates,as the CULTURES are different.

How are laws going to prevent ILLEGAL gun usage?
They don't stop illegal drug usage.They don't stop murder by other
weapons,either.

Personally I would be happy with a good reduction.

There's nothing to show that the gun control is the reason the rates are
lower.In most of those countries,after their gun control was enacted,there
was either no change in rates,or the rates increased instead of dropping
further.

Mexico has strict gun control,and a high gun homicide rate.

Again;
There is NO nation on Earth that has successfully banned guns.
They all still have gun crimes.

Examine the VERY low number of firearm misuses by people who have
legal Concealed Carry Permits. Their record is EXCELLENT,better than
police.

Consider the 250 million plus guns in the US,then look at the number
of gun
misuses. 99% of the guns are NOT misused.

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/...S/GUNSTAT.html
In the U.S. for 2001, there were 29,573 deaths from firearms,
distributed as follows by mode of
death: Suicide 16,869; Homicide 11,348; Accident 802; Legal
Intervention 323; Undetermined
231.(CDC, 2004)

My guess is most of those Suicide and Accident deaths were with
legal
guns. I would also guess many of the homicides were with legal guns.

(all guns were originally "legal";how does it matter when one is killed?)

Do you have any better stats?

Well,you can delete the suicides;as they are one's own CHOICE,and means-
independent anyways.Then compare to over 250 MILLION guns owned.
Thus,the rate of misuse is extremely low.Then you look at the number of
legit DGUs(Defensive Gun Uses)and see that guns are used FAR more for GOOD
than evil.Disarming people would make them more vulnerable to criminals;is
that what you wish?
In the UK,burglars have little fear of entering an occupied home,and
stealing while the dwellers are home.Their at-home rate of burglary is much
higher than the US,where criminals run a great risk of getting SHOT if
someone is at home.

Note: The statistical information I have quoted is not without issues.
While I have tried to locate better data and have asked if anyone has
better more reliable unbiased data, I have yet to find sources that I
consider really good.

Meaning sources that suit your worldview?
That's a common tactic with anti-gun people.They don't dispute the
data,they discard it because of the source,regardless of where the data
actually came from.

The NRA actually is a good source for gun research,so is www.guncite.org.

--
Jim Yanik