Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cj cj is offline

Default Speaker Crossover Questions - Again

Hi,
I got many great replies to my original post,
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...849027dfe5878/

With work getting in the way, I have been a bit slow at ordering and
replacing the caps in my AR 91s speakers (25 yrs old). I hope to find
some time over the holidays.

Reviewing other threads on the subject of, and talking to a couple of
friends in the my IT dept, industry, I have a few more questions
before ordering parts.

Should I replace the resistors? The speakers function, and measuring
the resistors with a multi-meter find them within tolerance. Any other
tests I can perform? The resistors and caps leads are twisted and
soldered together, so I have to "remove" them anyway.

I was thinking about use a connector bar, screw or solder type, versus
twisting and soldering the component wires together. Any comments on
that idea?

From lurking in this forum, I know that most of you that reply to
posts do not believe in high-end "snake oil" caps. Humor me, or go
enjoy a glass of egg-nog. Reading other forums, people recommend using
a quality cap in parallel with a smaller value "snake oil" cap. The
result is supposedly better sound, without spending big $$. This
doesn't quite make sense to me, since a larger value cap will roll off
at a lower frequency and thus a larger portion of the signal (for a
mid or high speaker) will be flowing through it. Is this a correct
assessment or is my "basic" understanding of caps or electronics
insufficient to understand why this recommendation has merit.

Cheers!
Christopher