Posted to rec.woodworking
Curran Copeland Curran Copeland is offline

Default OT Craigs List

What gets me curious is why were all the checks for $2900? is there
something about that amount that I am not aware of?
"DGDevin" wrote in message

"Curran Copeland" wrote in message
. ..

Three checks came each for $2900 by UPS courier (about $30 each to send)
one had a mailing address to send the money to, the other two had no
information at all, of course all three checks were phony. What gets me
is that I told the two that contacted me that I would accept a check but
only for the amount of purchase and shipping was up to them, they sent
$2900 checks anyway. The third one didn't contact me or send instructions
or tell me what they were trying to buy, just spent 30 odd bucks to send
me a bogus check. Who is getting scammed here and by whom? I took one of
the checks to my bank and they took one look at it and said they wouldn't
even cash it for me. So who is losing money on this?

These scammers also do fake Post Office money orders that look good enough
that they fool people into sending goods and forwarding part of the money
to a "shipper" or whoever, of course when the check or money order turns
out to be fake they get stuck for the item they sent plus the money they
forwarded. Obviously one of the warning signs is when someone wants to
send you more than the purchase price so you can forward money to someone
else. Somebody suggested they have a way to defraud UPS as well, it's
quite possible that they're using someone else's account to sent the
checks overnight, they don't want to give their victims time to think
about what's going on. These days it isn't just buyer beware, sellers
have to be careful too.