Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Using newspapers to heat the shop

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've not tried it. However, I suspect it will work better if you have an air
inducer fan. Blowing a gentle stream of fresh air into the firebox, at the
pile of news papers.

A friend of mine used to burn a mix of used oil, and kerosene. He'd run a
tube from a bucket on a shelf, and drip it into the firebox. The oil would
splash onto a deflector, and help to vaporize it. He quit with this setup
when a couple friends of his had fires when the oil fire "got away from
them". Needs some sort of shutoff valve, several feet away from the firebox.

Knew another fellow who burned used crankcase oil with a fuel oil gun. He'd
start it on kerosene, and valve it over to used oil. Had to preheat the oil,
a couple loops of tubing around the barrel that was used as a firebox.

I made some logs out of rolled news paper, one time. Put them end up in a
bucket, adn pour in some used motor oil. I wasn't there to see it, but I'm
told they burned OK.

I have a shop heater consisting of a 55-gallon drum on it's side.
chimney on one end, door and adjustable damper on the other.

In the normal course of shop work anything made of paper, wood or
cardboard goes into small cardboard boxes and gets packed pretty firmly.
The resultant package get used oil added to it. It burns quite well,
even hotter than I like if I get too ambitious with it (big box, lots of
oil). this gets rid of waste paper, newsprint, boxes, and oil. it
burns hot enough that it doesn't smoke.