Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

mc wrote:
"Peter A Forbes" wrote in message

Multicore set the standard in the UK for many years and what they
suggested/supplied was what industry used. As everything was hand soldered
then,
it had to be a solder and flux with as wide an operating temperature range
as
possible.

During my brief stint in England (1977-78) I got some Multicore solder and
found it very easy to work with. Is it still available? In the USA?

Ersin Multicore Savbit, 5 core solder. lovely stuff, it has a small
percentage of copper added to the alloy to preserve bit life, and still
available in the UK.

Ron