Posted to rec.woodworking
FrozenNorth FrozenNorth is offline

Default I wonder what's kept under wraps?

Robatoy took a can of maroon spray paint on December 18, 2007 02:52 pm and
wrote the following:

On Dec 18, 1:50 pm, "Rod & Betty Jo" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

One of the most efficient ways to move people in large quantities
(over land, not water) is steel wheels on rails.
Trams (streetcars) are the best example.

So efficient that it costs approx. $35.00-$40.00 per ride.....a normal
bus approx. $25.00.....without a massive tax subsidy not many if any
riders would use them.....

The TTC in Toronto subsidizes 39 cents (pennies) per ride. They recoup
around 81% of their costs from (about) 2 dollar fares which will take
you (if you use free transfers) anywhere in Greater Metro.
The Amsterdam and Berlin numbers are close.

Then again, none of these are operated by Haliburton.

Besides, there are LOTS of people in New York City who don't own/need
cars... and there are lots of other examples.

So where is this 40 dollar ride? DisneyWorld?

Then there are people like me, I live in Toronto, work in Mississauga, I
have the choice of getting in my car and driving literally 15 minutes, or
paying transit fares for both the TTC and Mississauga Transit, to take me
around the world (it seems the way the route works) for an hour ride.

Lets see, $1 worth of gas or $9 worth of transit fares for the round trip,
choice seems obvious.
--
Lits Slut #9