Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Arthur Frank Arthur is offline

Default I wonder what's kept under wraps?

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
A few years ago I attended a marketing lecture given by a very
respected designer. One element of his presentation was his
assertion
that there are many, many items which have been invented and even
perfected BUT which will not see the market - either because (1) the
average person couldn't handle them, or (2) their sale would ruin
other established markets.

(1) knife blades so sharp that you only have to rest the knife on a
tomato and it would slice through with no pressure (goodbye fingers)
(2) an ointment that safely kills hair follicles and eliminates the
need for ever shaving again (goodbye electric razor, blade and cream
sales)

I don't think he was spouting urban myths and I have no doubt that
crass corporate self-interests would support his cynicism. I just
wonder what's out there waiting to be sprung when someone thinks the
time is right?

(Very reminiscent of the old tale from the 50s about the man who
demonstrated he could turn water into gasoline and then got on a
train
and was never seen again. Probably eliminated by the petroninjas!)

FoggyTown

I invented a Universal Solvent but was unable to package it for sale
because it would dissolve glass, plastic & even stainless steel!