Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need help drilling a heatsink

Nick Mueller fired this volley in
:

I assume the fins are vertical to the baseplate. ;-)
The idea with Cerrosafe (or some such like Wood's metal, Cerrobend
etc.) sounds promising to me. When casting the metal between the fins,
I would clamp some sheet on top of the fins and leave it there while
drilling (even drill into that cover a bit). Don't forget to put some
oil onto the fins, makes coming off the Cerrosave easier.

If I were going to use this method, I think I'd completely embed the
object in the LMA. That way, it would be self-clamping, as it were.

I think I don't like this idea, at least for even small production
quantites, as you're going to end up throwing away a lot of contaminated
$30/lb. casting metal. You could re-melt and skimming all the chips, but
I've had bad luck with contaminants affecting the surface-release
properties of Cerro-Tru ... don't know about Cerro-Safe.

LLoyd