Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Roof construction

robgraham wrote:

John
This I fear could be in danger of growing topsy-like as there are so
many solutions to rooves, albeit a rafter is a rafter and a joist is a
joist.

Yup, that problem did occur to me... ;-)

I just wanted to cover the basic terminology, to do a "complete" job
would require writing a book.

For instance the traditional Scottish roof does not contains purlins,
has a simple tie across the rafters at typically 2/3rds height and has
wooden planks as the sarking with nailed on slates.

Interestingly I have seen some '30s properties the south east that use
planked sarking - although with clay tiles over. No soffits either on
that one.

As I suggest your difficulty will be addressing all roof styles and I
wonder whether a bit of googling might locate other sites which have
details of specific roof designs rather than attempt to do it all on

Yup, good plan... let me know if you have any good links.

--
Cheers,

John.