Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S. Robin S. is offline

Default Mystical centre drilling question......

On Dec 17, 4:45 pm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

I'm not sure I've ever read so much misinformation in all my years of
reading RCM. It is obvious, at least to me, that precious few of the
readers have an understanding of the subject at hand.

No, this is not directed at you, Randy. Your comments are spot on, assuming
the material is dialed perfectly, but even then it must be dead on center at
both ends.

Harold,

Couldn't agree more. BUT I think it's because there are many factors
that affect this process - an excellent example of why the call it a
"skilled trade".

I go with the soft bar between centers, test cuts at each end (don't
waste time making a long pass!). Process should take about 10min or
less (depending on cutters and lathe centers being setup already or
not).

Test bars are nice, but I wouldn't trust one unless it was either
purchased AS A TEST BAR or had been hardened and ground by a competent
tool maker or grinding hand. Additionally, any nick or burr on the
internal 60º taper, or the centers will RUIN the results of the
hardened test bar.

Cutting a test bar each time is INTRINSICALLY ACCURATE (and makes for
a lighter toolbox/heavier wallet). Indeed, they don't use a test bar
when they're making test bars!

Regards,

Robin