Default Surface finish

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:30:40 GMT, Ted Edwards

To help visualise the device I've posted a couple of pictures in
the drop box titled "Skive Tool". The tool shown is a Mark 2 version
with the business end formed by a lump of stellite brazed to a mild
steel shank.

Which Stellite are you using, please.

Ted

It's Stellite 100 - the lathe tool grade. It is difficult to
find these days so I eke out my small stock by using small lumps as
tips.

I used it on the mark 2 skive tool because of its wear
resistance and fine edge capability - and because I had a spare lump!.

HSS is a pretty fair substitute - the high cobalt Cleveland
MoMax or the M42 8% cobalt grades are the best choice because they
are a bit more tolerant to overheating during brazing. Incidentally I
may have been a bit misleading here. By brazing I mean silver brazing
- I used Easiflo No2.

Jim