Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] is offline

Default Mystical centre drilling question......

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:08:48 -0500, Randy Replogle
wrote:

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
...... but even then it must be dead on center at
both ends.

Harold

Right. It's one of those things we've all *heard* how to do but probably
most of us never have done it, including me.
Randy

The easy way to do this is take a piece of, say 20-25mm, steel about a
foot long. Center drill both ends and take it home. Set it up between
centers and take a cut with your home machine. Measure both ends. If
there is a difference in size offset the tailstock to compensate.
Continue until both ends of the bar are the same size. You now have
(1) centered your tail stock and (2) made a test bar that can be used,
next time, with a dial indicator to re-set the tail stock.

Setting up a machine usually starts with "leveling it". i.e., getting
the basic machine aligned (the easy way) using a precision level. This
assures that the ways are not twisted. You can then check for wear on
the ways using a straight edge and feeler gauge. If all is well then
check headstock/tail stock alignment with the test bar and Bob's your
uncle.
Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)