Bruce L. Bergman

Default Questions on hoist set up

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 05:34:34 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Preferably, I would like to hoist up a loading platform upon which I could
also stand and get a free ride.

If you are seriously thinking about riding on this contraption
regularly, you should consider starting with a Columbus McKinnon (CM)
chain hoist - from my friend who is a Union Stagehand, they are the
only ones who make man-rated lifts, or allow people under equipment or
lighting trusses hung off a hoist. When doing the stage rigging, they
always way over-rate the hoists to avoid trouble - no more than 1 ton
load on a 2 ton hoist.

I have a older customer who built his own "Elevator" in the inner
courtyard of a small apartment building. His isn't a CM, but another
american made lift - don't ask me who. The frame is two 6" I-beams up
and across for the hoist, and the car body is welded square tube with
lawnmower wheels as guide rollers riding in the beam webs. The wheel
system could have been designed better, it still has a lot of slop to
shift around in it's shaft...

Good for hauling heavy stuff like appliances upstairs and down, but
you won't catch me riding on it.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545