Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Insulate wood-burning fireplace

shederr wrote:
We recently moved into a home (built in 1982) and it has a wood
burning fireplace. We love having a wood burning fireplace, but
we've recently noticed the hearth gets very cold and there's quite a
draft coming from the fireplace. We've read and been told to close
the flu and hold a tissue in the fireplace to see if it moves
(indicating a draft through the flu). We've done that and the tissue
does not move. We've used fireplace caulking around the fireplace
between it and the brick surround.

The draft seems to be coming from the vents underneath the fireplace
(sorry, not sure what that's called). It's as if the area around the
fireplace itself is letting a draft in. We want to continue using the
fireplace and hate to block these vents, but we've covered them with
towels for now while it's not being used. Is there a way to remove
this vent covering and insulate underneath there or is there something
we should do at the top of the chimney that will solve this?

Replacing the insert is a bit costly for us right now. Is there
anything else we can do to cut down the draft from under the
fireplace?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you might mean by "vents
underneath the fireplace". Three possibilities I can see are 1) an ash
pit 2) air vents from outside which provide makeup air to the fire and
3) some sort of heat circulation arrangement but these probably aren't
all the possibilities.

What sort of firebox does your fireplace have (steel, masonry?). Where
are these vents located relative to where the logs rest on the grate or
andirons? Are there other vents than the ones you mention (like above
the firebox opening)? Is this fireplace a pre-fabricated unit that was
inserted into an opening in the wall with bricks added for decoration?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]