Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Damn, it's cold

on 12/17/2007 12:42 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

on 12/17/2007 10:40 AM Banty said the following:

In article , willshak says...

on 12/17/2007 8:02 AM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Madx wrote:

Last night here in California we were advised that there was a
spare
the air alert and to refrain from wood fires. So if it is not
harmful why would it be all over the news NOT to make a fire?

It's currently the PC position comes to mind?

More realistically in a metro area it is a particulate source which
can be a problem.

...which is exactly why it was made illegal here (Rochester NY) at
some point in the past.

You mean outside?
People have plenty of fireplaces in the home and make fires in them.

Burning wood in fireplaces is not allowed inside the city limits of
Rochester.

Awful lot of homes and apartments for sale or rent in Rochester, NY
advertising fireplaces.
Google - fireplace rochester ny

Soo.... *all* fireplaces burn wood, you're saying?

Nope. But not many specifically say gas or electric fireplace. I searched
9 pages under that google search and there was no mention of any law
banning wood burning fireplaces.
I googled on 'wood burning fireplace rochester ny' and there are houses
for sale featuring wood burning fireplaces. Still no reference to a ban on
wood burning fireplaces.
I suppose Joe will provide a cite.
Bill

That's the information I got from two realtors back in 1982, when I was
shopping for my first house. I said "fireplace", they said "not in the city
limits". It was confirmed by the guy who inspected and cleaned our
fireplace, who said "Two blocks west and you'd be in the city. No fireplace
use allowed". Maybe it changed.

I don't have time to check, but you can, if you like:
http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isapi...wse_Frame_Pg42

No search results on 'fireplace' in that code.
The closest match is Ch. 100: Smoke and Air Pollution Control which
mentions smoke and nuisances.

100-3 Dense smoke is hereby declared to be a nuisance, and the emission
or escape thereof from any locomotive, tug, boat, stack, chimney or flue
of any premises, building, fuel-burning equipment, roundhouse, portable
equipment or other similar contrivance or from any open fire shall be
unlawful; provided, however, that the following exceptions to the
provisions of this section shall be permitted.

100-4 A. No person shall cause, suffer or allow to be emitted into the
open air from any fuel-burning equipment or premises, or to pass a
convenient measuring point nearest to the stack outlet, dust in the
gases to exceed 0.85 pounds per 1,000 pounds of gases, adjusted to 50%
excess air for products of combustion, excepting that for fuel-burning
equipment or premises constructed subsequent to the effective date of
this chapter, a minimum dust-collecting efficiency of at least 85% shall
be required for special dust-separating equipment, and that for
fuel-burning equipment or premises constructed prior to the effective
date of this chapter, a minimum dust-collecting efficiency of at least
75% shall be required for special dust-separating equipment. The
limitations given shall be waived during periods when breakdown of
equipment occurs such as to make it evident that the emission was not
reasonably preventable. The amount of solids in the gases shall be
determined according to the Test Code for Dust-Separating Apparatus of
the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, revised and amended to
date, which is hereby made a part of this chapter by reference.

199-4 B. Acid or other fumes, noxious gases, strong odors, dust, dirt,
soot, cinders and fly ash, emitted or allowed to escape in such quantity
or volume as to be detrimental to the public or to endanger the health
and safety of the public or to cause the injury or damage to the
property or business of any person, are hereby declared a nuisance, and
the emission or escape thereof from any locomotive, tug or boat, stack,
chimney or flue of any premises, building, combustion equipment,

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY