Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Better programmable thermostat?

On Dec 17, 9:09 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

are there any programmable thermostats out there that you can
recommend that do better than just the four time a day settings? I
sometimes leave the house for odd hours at a time and I'd like to be
able to override 2 or 3 settings at a time without having to program
each quarter. I'd like to have one that allows me to override the
custom settings for 5 hours or 8 hours or 2 days if needed.

If you're leaving the house, why not just use the "hold" feature and set it
for whatever is the cheapest use? For instance, I work at home, so mine's
set for 68 (heat) most of the day, and 66 at night. But, if I'm gone for a
lengthy period during the day, I hit the hold button and set it for 66.

Mine doesn't have a hold function but that still wouldn't help what I
want to achieve. I want to be able to easily drop it down about 10
degrees for about 8 hours if I know I'm going to be out about 10 hours
then have it gradually increase back up to the normal setting for the
next 2 hours so it's back to normal by the time I'm home. Does a
thermostat like that exist? This is mostly for weekends where it's
impossible to program because I don't know if I'm going to be home or
out that day.