Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Frequency sounds from TVs

Warren Weber wrote:

snip
FWIW, I 'used' to be able to hear the horizontal frequency when I got a
round a noisy set. These days, I hear it all the time...whether I'm
around one or not (tinnitus).

jak

Yep, jak... The crickits I hear often. Even in the winter. Very annoying.
Hearing down to about 3000 Hertz now. W W

I vaguely remember 'hearing' total silence.

I've had this problem since I was a kid. It puzzled me up into my late
teens when I recognized it for what it was...spurred by odd results on
the hearing test at my draft physical. Reconstructive recollection
traced it back to an incident around 10 yo, firing a cheap revolver
without hearing protection. (Did anybody use hearing protection back in
the 60's?)

Being a 'threshold' issue, it didn't prevent me from a degree of success
as a sound engineer, but has become more annoying as I age. Some times
it's louder than others....

jak