Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Generator or inverter?

tony sayer wrote:

In article , Steve Firth
scribeth thus
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I would simply LOVE a system that when its cold and wet and the trees
take out a power line, did not require me to have to fiddle around
starting up motors and rewiring the house..to get the TV and the lights
back on. Cooking we can do on te aga...and having te oil boiler work
would be fine..

A remote start generator and a changeover switch can make it painless.
Some generators can be configured with an automatic changeover switch
and automatic starting.

The last time I looked at sucha s system is was about £800 for a 6KVA
generator with remote/auto start and £80 for the changeover switch.
That's a lot cheaper than an inverter/battery system.

When you find a good 'un for that sort of money let us know please;!...

http://tinyurl.com/2k4mwt

That one's sold, but they get more in from time to time.

This one's only 5KVA but autostart and a bit cheaper.

http://www.peakgenerators.co.uk/product.asp?id=476