Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default New/old steel body panels

On Dec 9, 9:47 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
... Making precision
replacement panels, especially ones that can fit together reasonably into a
complete car, like the ones described in that NYT article, is something else
again. As you mentioned, getting the springback right, and all the flanges
and so on is not the same thing as whacking out the basic shape....
Ed Huntress

I've only installed one of these, the radiator support (entire front
cross panel) for a Ranger.
It fit OK but not perfectly and had some wrinkling. I got the
impression that Veng's supplier had used an original for a model and
ignored springback.

These parts are installed one at a time by people with the skill and
tools to make them fit, often on vehicles with other damage (mine had
rusted out), so maybe it doesn't matter if they aren't made to factory
precision.

Jim Wilkins