Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Ariens Snow Blower Belt

MLD wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..

bq340 wrote:

Ian wrote:

I have an old Ariens snowblower, Model # 92208 (5HP 20"). The belt
that drives the blower has broken.

Does anyone know what the spec on this belt is (so I can buy one at
the local auto parts supplier). More importantly, any advice on how to
install teh new belt?

We're knee deep in the white stuff here in Toronto.

Thanks,

Ian

If responding by email, please email to

If you mean 922008 then it takes a 1/2 X 32 belt.

There are four bolts holding the blower section to the engine section.
Loosen up the bottom two and remove the top two bolts and pivot the two
halves apart to gain access to the belt.
MikeB

Right on, I think. I ran my model 10ML60D Ariens for over an hour today
here in Red Sox Nation. According to Ariens, it was manufactured in the
1984-65 season, so it's over 40 years old now. Built like a brick
defecatorium, nothing besides a few auger shear bolts has ever broken on
it, and it's still running on its original engine.

Too bad they don't build stuff that well anymore, eh?

When you buy that new belt, do yourself a favor and buy a spare one too.

HTH,

Jeff

--

Your blower is still a youngster. I have a 5 HP Areins that I bought in Nov
1977 (making it 30 yrs old) just a couple of months before the blizzard of

I'm not trying to one up you, but when I wrote "1984-65 season" I meant
to write "1964-65 season", which is why my machine is probably about 42
years old.

But, the Ariens web site still has the diagrams and parts lists for it.

Your response did remind me that I too have replaced the starter pull
rope once. And I had to weld some 3/8 " thick steel onto the front skids
when they were nearly worn through about 15 years ago.

My Ariens has a 120 volt AC starter which I usually use for initial
startup in my garage, where I keep an extension cord plugged into an
outlet near where the blower sleeps. The electric starter seems to get
it going easier than the half dozen or more rope pulls it needs when
it's cold. When the engine is hot it will start with a single pull. That
may have something to do with the fact that when I'm done snowblowing I
religiously close the fuel shutoff valve and let the engine run until it
uses up the fuel in the carb and dies.

I call my Ariens "The Widow Maker" because it has no front side shields
and zippo safety features. If you lose hold of it while it's in gear
it'll plow ahead by itself until it hits something big enough to stop
it. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia