Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gordon Bennett Gordon Bennett is offline

Default Sharp microwave arcs *through* front door

"Chris" wrote in message
I've got a ~2 year old microwave that has shown no previous signs of
trouble and is to all appearances in good working order. During
normal operation (melting butter on low power) this morning we heard
familiar 60Hz buzz, and then sure enough it shot an arc out through
the door to metal rack across a gap of some two inches. Following
the
burn marks back, the arc seems to have originated (or at least
exited)
beneath the chamber, where the inside of the door meets the body of
the oven and roughly halfway across from the hinges. First the big
question: whatever the failure was, shouldn't there have been a
better path to ground available? Do I have some kind of grounding
issue that I need to fix in before I repair this thing and start
using
it again?
-Chris

The only grounding isuue that I can think of that would cause this
type of fault is that your house is built on the site of an old indian
burial ground. You need an exorcist immediately.