Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default solid state relay?

Grant Erwin wrote:

There is an idle solenoid mounted on the side of the carburetor. When it is
energized, it pulls the governor arm to an idle position. When it is
de-energized, it releases the governor so it goes to the weld position.

This idle solenoid has a coil resistance of 5.6 ohms, so run from 12V will
draw about 2 amps DC.

This is what I want to control. The power I have available to switch on or
off to a relay coil is just 12VDC, basically a car battery.

This is a gas engine coupled to a welder, a relatively crude machine.

Azotic already posted that my relay won't work to switch a DC load. Now I'm
trying to find one that will, hopefully that won't break the bank.

Coil voltage: 12VDC
Load voltage: 12VDC

How about a fog lights/driving lights relay? Available at about any
car parts place, and can be bought with a socket & harness.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida