Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic azotic is offline

Default solid state relay?

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
.. .
There is an idle solenoid mounted on the side of the carburetor. When it
is
energized, it pulls the governor arm to an idle position. When it is
de-energized, it releases the governor so it goes to the weld position.

This idle solenoid has a coil resistance of 5.6 ohms, so run from 12V will
draw about 2 amps DC.

This is what I want to control. The power I have available to switch on or
off to a relay coil is just 12VDC, basically a car battery.

This is a gas engine coupled to a welder, a relatively crude machine.

Azotic already posted that my relay won't work to switch a DC load. Now
I'm
trying to find one that will, hopefully that won't break the bank.

Coil voltage: 12VDC
Load voltage: 12VDC

Thanks, Grant

Most likley the control module is a simple voltage comparator which
energizes the solenoid
when you strike the stinger to the work and the voltage drops. They are
fairley simple to
make if your handy with electronics, about $10.00 worth of off the shelf
parts should do it.
If you don't want to build your own you can probobaly buy a ready built
voltage controlled
relay. You will have to measure the output voltage of the welder to buy one
with the correct
coil voltage. If you can find one that is SPDT that will be the easiest to
set up.

Try a google search for VOLTAGE CONTROLLED RELAY.

Best Regards
Tom.