Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mechanical Magic Mechanical Magic is offline

Default Gear/Power steering pump.

j/b
10 GPM is a lot.

I don't think you are going to get it with a single P/S pump. I think
they are more in the 1 GPM range (and a few hundred psi). Maybe with
the proper belt/pulley. If you have the pump at the barrel head, self
priming should not be a problem. A 5/8" garden hose only puts out ~3
gpm. Even if you run a P/S pump at high rpm's, I think you are going
to starve the pump, since the inlet is too small.
Dave

On Dec 16, 8:17 pm, "jusme" wrote:
Thanks, Dave. I though so but wanted to ask.

I want to empty 55 gallon barrels in around 5 minutes. These will contain
oil. Pressure is not critical. Self-priming is very important.

j/b

"Mechanical Magic" wrote in message

Sure, they work just fine, assuming you get the rotation right. We
had a home brew EDM for years, P/S pump circulated hyd fluid. It was
run by a 1/3 hp motor. (But, it only needed to move a cyl with a few
pounds load.) So, as to hp, it depends on the load, not the pump.

What are your flow and pressure requirements?
Dave

On Dec 16, 7:23 pm, "jusme" wrote:
Can't an hydraulic steering pump be used as an oil pump by putting a
motor
on the shaft?

I wonder what the flow rates are on regular power steering pumps and what
h.p. is needed to drive them.

j/b