Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Damn, it's cold

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Got down to 38F last night in Houston.

Had to put on all the clothes I owned. Even had to get another
blanket. From the attic.

At least we didn't have to evacuate to a shelter like so many.
Fortunately, we have plenty of food; neighbors are stocking up on
canned goods and bottled water.

I'm not sure whether they're going to close the schools or the
roads. Mail delivery is likewise iffy.

WHAT??? Evacuate? Shelter?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ery=houston+tx

Sounds like springtime to me.

I suppose it's what your used to. When a hurricane heads our way, vistors
look down and say "Feet, make tracks!" while we natives stock up on beer and
strawberry pop-tarts. Can't have a party without pop-tarts.

We're starting to take hurricanes a bit more seriously, though. Last one
that affected our area, Katrina, missed us by almost 200 miles. What it DID
do, however, was bother us with 250,000 evacuees from New Orleans, a great
number of which were criminals.

In the intervening two years, most of these criminals have been killed off
or are in Texas jails ("Whatch yo' mean, I can't be walkin' in my 'hood with
a Malt an' a toke?"), but why go to the trouble. In today's Houston paper:

"[Evacuees] seeking to escape the next hurricane or state emergency by
evacuation bus will first be submitted to criminal background checks, the
state's emergency management director says."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/5380868.html

Appease the gods of wind and water with human sacrifice, I always say.