Posted to alt.building.contractors,alt.construction,alt.home.repair
Sammy bin Snoozin Sammy bin Snoozin is offline

Default Kitchen Remodel Update & Photos

"Fred" wrote in message . ..

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message
"Chase" wrote in message ...

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote

Anyone know another free site where I can move the photos?

http://photobucket.com/

Thanks, Chase. I just uploaded them here...

Here's the direct link... http://tinyurl.com/29nrlr

The first photo is the earliest. The rest are in reverse chronological
order, so the first ones are at the bottom.

I ususally use the adjustable depth electrical boxes in the kitchen to

have
the ability to accommadate the final backsplash thickness. Personally I
would have remove all of the old wiring and installed all new. I hope

that
the old wiring that you have apparently spliced to the new wiring is #12.

Perhaps someone else will correct me, but i'm not comfortable
with the one picture of the exposed studs underneath where the
window is going (near the vent stack piping ?).

It looks as if the studs to the right (where the vent stack
piping is running thru them), are now structurally useless.
They've been notched/cut and looks as if a piece of sheet metal
is wrapped around the stud to give an illusion that everything
is fine.

I'm wondering if the loads on that header will be an issue
with those studs cut & notched the way they are. Being it's
an outside wall, it most certainly would be load bearing.

I wouldn't have allowed any plumber to do that if it were my
home. no way.

Many thanks for the tip, Fred. This was the way the house was built in 1961 and no evidence of lack of support. It's not sheet metal - it's actually a brace specifically used to provide support (at least that's what I was told by the window dude).

However.... I do plan to have an indept contruction feller come by to give me his opinion of the window framing, so I'll post what he says about it.

Thank again, Fred. This is exactly the kind of thing I have no experience in and appreciate the heads up.

Sam