Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default c45

Wayne wrote:
Is a set screw with a rockwell hardness of c45 too hard
to turn down with a HSS bit?
Or in other words what would be the maximum B & C numbers
that could be cut with HSS?
Thanks,
Wayne D.

I use HSS tooling to modify setscrew and socket head cap screws all the
time. Not to be a smart ass but as long as it's softer than the tool
you should be able to make it work. I recently had to make some cone
point set screws, I used HSS tool bits and held the setscrews in a 5C
collet. Actually you get a nice finish quite easily.

Regards
Paul

Thanks! I didn't have any concept on how hard the setscrew was in
relation to HSS. If the hardness of the set screw wasn't listed, I
would've just gotten and cut them without thinking about it.

Wayne D.