Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Smoke Detector Timing

On Dec 16, 11:02 am, "The Ranger" wrote:
I have First Alert smoke detectors located throughout my house
(each bedroom, main hallways, and two non-bedrooms.) The whole
series are hardwired and I'm anal about changing the batteries
every 6 months.

This last week, two of the units started beeping at random times
(usually late at night around 3-4 am); not the full-alert beeping,
just that 1-second ear-splitting, I'm out of battery power and you
should change me beep.

I took them down, immediately changed their batteries (9V
Duracell) and put them back into place. The beeps stopped.

...Until this morning at 5am.

Six of the eight units started beeping randomly. It daisy-chained
down the hallway in a weird march. The beeps were first 20 minutes
apart but have graduated to every 20 seconds now.

I've blown out each unit, tested them (and my ears are still
ringing), and put them back into place. Still, every 60-90
seconds, the damn things march down the hallway beeping away.

Thoughts or ideas to cure this annoying morning alarm?

The Ranger

I have managed student housing with hardwired smokes for years. They
always fail between 3:00 and 5:00 AM. :-)

JK