Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smoke Detector Timing

"The Ranger" wrote in message
I have First Alert smoke detectors located throughout my house (each
bedroom, main hallways, and two non-bedrooms.) The whole series are
hardwired and I'm anal about changing the batteries every 6 months.

This last week, two of the units started beeping at random times (usually
late at night around 3-4 am); not the full-alert beeping, just that
1-second ear-splitting, I'm out of battery power and you should change me
beep.

I took them down, immediately changed their batteries (9V Duracell) and
put them back into place. The beeps stopped.

...Until this morning at 5am.

Six of the eight units started beeping randomly. It daisy-chained down the
hallway in a weird march. The beeps were first 20 minutes apart but have
graduated to every 20 seconds now.

I've blown out each unit, tested them (and my ears are still ringing), and
put them back into place. Still, every 60-90 seconds, the damn things
march down the hallway beeping away.

Thoughts or ideas to cure this annoying morning alarm?

The Ranger

While you're waiting for answers, you might poke around this site and see if
there's anything helpful:
http://www.firstalert.com/support.php