Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default CRT Monitor Odd Behavior

Sam Goldwasser wrote in
:

writes:

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

. ..
I've had this Viewsonic PF790 19" CRT monitor for quite a few
years now and it has been used daily since it was new without any
issues. Recently I have noticed that large white images will
cause the horizontal size to shrink about 1cm overall. I keep my
desktop set to black so if I minimize a window I see the picture
expand or if I open a window I see the picture shrink. It is
possible that it has always done this, but I don't believe
that it has. Any thoughs on what might be going out?

Mike

I just set my monitor to 100hz, the setting I used to keep it at.
With a mostly black picture the desktop streches beyond the edges
of the screen and is dark and slightly purple. I guess I have some
issue in the horizontal deflection circuitry. I'm a novice at PC
monitors so any suggestions would be great.

No one needs a refresh rate that high. Set it to something
reasonable (e.g. 75 or 85Hz) and see if that helps.

If it used to work and is within the specs of the monitor scan rate,
then that's not the issue.

Something is failing in the deflection or power supply, and the
regulation is suffering.

my guess would be electrolytic caps,bad ESR.
You MUST use low-ESR,105degF caps for replacements.

Not a task I'd suggest for a neophyte,I suggest buying a new LCD monitor.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik