Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_2_] SteveB[_2_] is offline

Default Removing frozen bolt

I have a very old turnbuckle. One rod came out, luckily the one that is
threaded in the reverse direction of a common bolt, so I'll be able to get a
3/8 common turnbuckle piece to replace it if I ever get it out. I managed
to twist the other one off. Now, it is down to a nub I can just barely get
hold of with Vise Grips. I heated it a couple of times yesterday and
dripped 3 in 1 oil in there and let it cool. I still can't get the thing
out. Trouble is, the long end is between the two forks of the turnbuckle
and inaccessible. I can drill a hole sideways through it, but don't think I
can put enough torque on it to get it loose. Any better penetrants?
Methods? Or am I going to have to carefully drill this out? I'd like to
save it, as it is somewhat of an antique.

Steve