Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default Generator or inverter?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Peter Scott wrote:

Mikeyboy wrote:

Well,. it all depends..

Here is a data point..3500Watts, 5KVA, around £1500...

http://www.morecomputers.com/extra.asp?pn=SUA5000RMI5U

Now I am not sure about this particular model, but many others will take
external batteries..

I would think around £6000 might easily get you a 24hr+ electricity
supply, at normal sorts of loads.

With off peak being about 8 times cheaper than on peak, its an
interesting calculation..

If your quarterly bill is more than around £150, its probably worthwhile..

THEN use a genny set to charge the batteries.. ;-)

If you read down the spec, at full load of 5kW this only provides just
under 10 mins of power. For 24 hours, at say 1 kW load, you would need
about 30 of these beasts. As the tech data says these are for giving
enough time for safe shut-down. Even if you use external batteries the
question of storing enough energy still remains. On a slightly different
issue, I am a great advocate of photovoltaics, but storing enough
electrical energy for overnight remains the major problem.

Peter Scott