Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default CRT Monitor Odd Behavior

writes:

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message ...

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
I've had this Viewsonic PF790 19" CRT monitor for quite a few years now
and it has been used daily since it was new without any issues. Recently I
have noticed that large white images will cause the horizontal size to
shrink about 1cm overall. I keep my desktop set to black so if I minimize
a window I see the picture expand or if I open a window I see the picture
shrink. It is possible that it has always done this, but I don't believe
that it has. Any thoughs on what might be going out?

Mike

I just set my monitor to 100hz, the setting I used to keep it at. With a
mostly black picture the desktop streches beyond the edges of the screen and
is dark and slightly purple. I guess I have some issue in the horizontal
deflection circuitry. I'm a novice at PC monitors so any suggestions would
be great.

No one needs a refresh rate that high. Set it to something
reasonable (e.g. 75 or 85Hz) and see if that helps.

If it used to work and is within the specs of the monitor scan rate, then
that's not the issue.

Something is failing in the deflection or power supply, and the regulation
is suffering.