Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Ecnerwal wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

why is 63-37 eutectic solder not universally preferred?

Because sometimes you want mush.

Eutectic is either solid, or liquid.

Formulations off eutectic have a range of mushiness, which can be of
use.

And they have higher melting points, which can be of use in multipart
assemblies, where you might use 50-50, 60-40 and 63-37 to assemble and
solder a series of parts.

Interesting. I've not heard of this before. Do you speak from:

1 experience
2 rumor
3 speculation

Not wanting to be confrontational, just curious. Wikipedia lists melting
points as:

63/37: melts between 180-185°C
60/40: melts between 183-190°C
50/50: melts between 185-215°C

I'm not aware of any soldering process that is able to control
temperature so closely as to not melt one, while melting another of
those formulations. Can you elaborate?

When I worked as a process engineer for Sprague Electric Co, in the early
70's, making capacitors and resistors, we used 95/5 solder, I think it was
tin/lead with a small amount of silver, to assemble the capacitors and
resistors.

One reason for that choice was so that the parts would withstand normal
60/40 soldering when boards were assembled.

Like you, I have some doubts about the kind of close control that would be
needed to use mixes as close as the ones given.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap