Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Grinding chipbreakers into drill bits?

On Dec 15, 2:20 pm, woodworker88 wrote:
About my lathe--while my tailstock taper and associated parts do need
a bit of work (it is a 60+ year old lathe, with the original drill
chuck shank), it's more than that. The fact is that I can visually
see the drill bit taking an excessive chip.

I have the same problem with my 40+ year old lathe, but only with some
combinations of feed pressure and size ratio. Simply switching to a
different size drill bit usually fixes it. I get good results opening
up the hole in 1/4" steps and then feeding the final bit which may be
removing only 1/16" quite slowly. For some reason taper shank bits
work better for me than a chuck. Maybe having less rotational inertia
they don't amplify slight chattering.

Jim Wilkins