Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Generator or inverter?

Mikeyboy wrote:

I posted a week ago to inquire what capacity generator I might need to
power things like central heating, freezer, large american fridge
freezer. The consensus seems to be, go for a 2 kw one, Honda if
possible.

I'm not sure why people recommended Honda, they are hideously expensive
for the specification. I'd recommend that you have a look at Kipor
generators which are well built, electronically stabilised and very
quiet for the capacity. Given the price differential you coudl probably
run to a 4 or 6KVA Kipor for the price of a 2KVA Honda.

I also note that things like inverters can do some of the jobs that a
generator can. Would one be relevant in my case?

In brief, no. I use an 800W inverter in a remote barn to provide
lighting only. I've tried to use it for some other applications and it
has burned out a Switched Mode PSU and has difficulty driving difficult
loads. This is because the AC output is modified square wave. Good
enough for lighting and not for much else. A proper sine wave inverter
will cost as much as a generator and you still have to buy sufficient
batteries to supply current and to maintain them between blackouts. I
you really want to have a 2KVA standby from an inverter I suspect you
will be looking at 10x110AH batteries, a 250W solar panel to charge them
with appropriate charging circuit and a 2KVA inverter or a 2VA
inverter/charger. Personally I wouldn't expect to see much change from
£3000.