Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Generator or inverter?

In article ,
Mikeyboy writes:
I posted a week ago to inquire what capacity generator I might need to
power things like central heating, freezer, large american fridge
freezer. The consensus seems to be, go for a 2 kw one, Honda if
possible.

I also note that things like inverters can do some of the jobs that a
generator can. Would one be relevant in my case?

You would need an unrealistic sized battery to carry the same
energy as a tank of petrol, and you can't easily top it up when
it runs low and you still don't have your mains supply back on.
(The more expensive generators actually use an inverter as the
final stage to generate a good quality output, but that's fed
from the generator, not batteries.)

I've got a 17Ah battery and an inverter. In theory that would
keep my heating alone running for something like 90 minutes if
the inverter is 100% efficient (it's probably not far off, as
it doesn't get hot).

--
Andrew Gabriel