Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Grilling options

In article , Smitty Two wrote:
I'm a die-hard charcoal fan myself, and wouldn't stoop to grilling on
anything else. But my evil twin was whining about all the time, effort,
and mess involved with charcoal, and actually used the g-word (gas) the
other day.

So, purely as an intellectual exercise, to amuse said evil twin, I'm
inviting opinions on the relative merits - and drawbacks - of natural
gas and propane.

The "grilled" flavor is not as rich with gas as it is with charcoal; not sure
why, but advice given me by a friend after I got my first gas grill proved
helpful: get a couple pounds of the cheapest, greasiest ground beef you can
find, and grill hamburgers. Flavor of everything else you cook after that will
be much improved.

I would not want a propane gas grill if it meant using portable tanks. Our
previous home had propane for heating, so it was a simple matter to run a line
out onto the deck. Current home has natural gas, so of course I've done the
same thing here. For me, the slight loss of flavor is more than outweighed by
the convenience of having the fuel always available, and never having to make
an "emergency" trip to the grocery for more charcoal or lighter fluid.

--
Regards,