Posted to sci.electronics.repair
HapticZ HapticZ is offline

Default Hard drive gets no power

yep, those things need to be "excercised"once in a while.

older types used grease that gets thick and often glues it together instead
of lubes it

moisture KILLS electronic stuff over time, regular use actually heats it
enough to drive off most of it.

i try to start up my older stuf at least once a month for an hour or two,
just to keep it alive and dry.

basements are BAD BAD BAD to work in!

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"clifto" wrote in message
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
clifto writes:
James Sweet wrote:
I'm well aware of the current state of SSD technology. The drive you
linked
to is a tiny 32GB capacity and the price is astronimical at over

$500.
That's enough money to purchase several terabytes of magnetic disc
space,
while a 40GB hard drive can be had for under $50, I don't think

anyone
even
manfactures anything less than 80GB anymore even in laptop drives.

My first hard drive was $30,000.00 per gigabyte. (Specifically, it was
$600 for 20 megabytes. Dreaming of a gigabyte was a cerebral

exercise.)

Geez, that cheap? What did DEC RK05s go for when they were
state-of-the-art?

I should only dream of having that kind of money. I'm talking about the
Seagate ST-225 for my first drive, the big price breakthrough on the
Winchester drive type. I still have a few of them and I bet they work
if I can find a computer with an ISA bus to plug the controller into.
They had a superfast 65 ms access time, much better than the 120 ms
times of earlier drives.

I still have an XT over at my mom's place with the 30MB RLL version of

that
drive, unfortunately I tried to fire it up about a year ago and the hard
drive made some unhealthy noises and I got a boot error