Posted to rec.woodworking
Hank[_2_] Hank[_2_] is offline

Default OT: Fear Unions

LRod wrote in
:

There were serious issues that directly related to our well being that
were not being addressed. You probably think it was about money, don't
you? If you'd been there, you'd know diifferent.

I was there. Leesburg, Nashua. It was about more controllers, fewer hours
and more money. Most controllers I spoke with, before they went out, wanted
more money and fewer hours. Controllers made a pretty decent living. I was
with IBM at the time and made a bit (quite) less. Most of them (the ATCs
that I dealt with or knew) thought they had the Country by the balls
because they could totally shut down all air traffic in the USA. Even
though they felt that way, they really didn't want to strike. The few that
mentioned or spoke to me about striking being illegal, didn't think it was
anything inportant because teachers, garbage collectors etc. had been
getting away with it for years. Again, this is my experience with the ATC's
I worked or dealt with on a daily basis. That strike was about money. Cloak
it in all the nice words you want.
Sat at the Holiday Inn bar in Nashua NH after President Reagan fired the
ATC's listening to them saying "he can't be serious", "a big bluff", etc.
I guess they ****ed him off. I don't know which side was right. Some of the
people I know went back and others didn't have the option.
I KNOW ONE TRUTH. When you think you have become indispensible, you are in
the most danger of becoming dispensible.
Hank