Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fear Unions

John E. wrote:

And as we all know, greedy CEO's have never, ever put a company out of
business after stripping off its assets.

It's only the unionised workers who drive companies out of business.

Don't recall anyone having said any such thing. CEO's however, typically
have a vested interest in seeing a business do well in the long run. In
addition, that falls under the "fiduciary duties" part of their job
descriptions. Should they quote, unquote strip a business of its assets
for their own aggrandizement, they can, and have been prosecuted for
violating their fiduciary duties. On the other hand, if you are a union
leader, not so much.

Now, if you are trying to say that CEO's screwing up is equivalent to your
accusation, that is a different discussion. Sometimes things happen, CEO's
are not omniscient.

John E.

"Twayne" wrote in message
Ron wrote:
As the late Senator Paul Wellstone liked to say, "We
may
be entitled to our own opinions, but we're not
entitled
to our own facts." Even with organized labor's many
problems (shrinking membership, internal dissension,
gutless Democrats, growing irrelevancy, etc.),
there's no
disputing the facts.
Fact: Across the board, union jobs pay more (10-15%
more), offer better health and medical benefits, and
provide workers greater on-the- job security and
influence than non-union jobs. Fact: Union facilities
are
demonstrably safer than non-union facilities;
statistically, the numbers aren't even close. Fact:
If
unions didn't represent a threat to management's
greed
and unchecked authority, they wouldn't be so
vehemently
opposed by businesses and business lobbies.
All of which raises the question: Given the
post-Reagan
assault on the earning power and dignity of
blue-collar
jobs, why aren't more people signing union cards? Why
haven't the marginal and disenfranchised in the
workforce
wised up? Union membership used to hover at close to
35%;
today it's barely 12%. Worse, if only private
industry
were counted, it's less than 7%. Better money, richer
benefits, safer environment, more control . . .
what's
not to like?

Millwright Ron
www.unionmillwright.com

But you're only looking at one side of the picture.
BTDT in a union that put the company out of business
and into bankruptcy. Oh, the workers were real happy
until ... IBEW BTW.