Robert Swinney

Default Question from a newbie

One way would be:

In the drill press, drill a 1/2 inch hole through the block. Then "step
drill" in 1/16", or smaller, increments until reaching the final size.
That is 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4 etc. The well known "Silver and Deeming" set
of reduced shank (1/2" ) drill bits could be used here. As the final size
is approached it will be necessary to use increments smaller than 1/16 to
stay "just shy of 1 inch".

Step drilling is recommended to reduce the holding and cutting forces
required to hog out a large hole all at once.

Bob Swinney

"KMH" wrote in message

Greetings.

I have a question for this group. I operate a small auto accessory store.
One of my products, made from
6061 aluminum was being designed by a local company. Basically they were
drilling (maybe) a hole just shy of
1 inch wide all the way through a 2 X 2 X 2 piece of aluminum. I'm

wondering
how someone would go
about accomplishing this? A drill press with a 1 inch bit, a mill with a
reamer? I'm lost. They shop is not wanting
to continue and I have to pick up where they left off. I do own a

mini-mill
just for extra info. Please adivse if
I need to include more info.

TIA