Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default why 60-40 solder?

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

wrote:

why is 63-37 eutectic solder not universally preferred?

Because you can't sell it in the EU if it's got lead in it.

Uh... 63-37 has lead in it.

The 63 is tin, the 37 lead. Traditionally, tin has been more expensive than
lead, so eutectic solder cost more than 60-40.

I don't think you'll find that to be true these days (i.e., last twenty
years or so) because solder prices are driven more by volume than the
commodity values of tin and lead. As a WAG, maybe 100 times as much
63/37 as 60/40 is sold, so I believe the premium is on the less common
formulation. If you can show me a cite to the contrary, I *might* be
willing to stand corrected. It has been many years since I priced 60/40.