Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default New graduated dial for Grizzly G9972Z 11x26 lathe

DoN, I'm using 1/2" shank tools in the toolholder, and I've got the
toolholder just below the top of the toolpost. Yeah, it makes the
centerline, but if I ever get the AXA-77 cut-off toolholder, it looks to
have a cutting edge higher than my indexable toolbit.

Facing the top of the dial will bring the compound slide lower without
having to machine any cast iron.
http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/lathe...Slide_Complete

You will see the top of the graduated dial peeking out of the
clamping ring. How does the present height of the graduated dial add to
the rigidity of the compound slide? The bottom of the boss is above the
clamping ring, meaning any side thrust will be opposed by the three
screws which fasten the dial onto the boss.
http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/lathe...d_Slide_Bottom

Besides, the idea behind getting a second dial is that I can swap the
original back in if I need to.

On 2007-12-14, Louis Ohland wrote:
Well, I just ordered another graduated dial for the compound slide on
my CQ6128A / G9972Z lathe.

My thought is to face off the top surface of the dial and thereby
lower my Aloris AXA toolpost. Right now, the toolholder is just about
hitting the top of the compound slide, and it can't go much lower.

But it still brings the top of the tool to spindle center line?
If so -- why bother shortening the compound? I would only do that if
the tools could not be lowered to centerline height -- not if they could
while almost touching the compound.

And what does removing material from the *dial* do for you? Do
you mean removing material from the casting to which the dial is
mounted?

Also, this should get the boss closer to the top of the cross slide,
adding to it's rigidity....

Perhaps so -- if you don't remove metal needed to add to the
rigidity.

Good luck,
DoN.