Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Useing and joining copper coated aluminium cables

CJF wrote:

One last comment - the wiki section on crimping
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cable_crimping all looks very
sensible and well laid out. I have one query though - the photos show three
blue crimps for 2.5mm T&E, which looks right for phase and neutral, but I
would have thought a red crimp (despite the unfortunate colour) would be
better for the CPC. I would assume that crimps work best if matched fairly
well in size to the conductor concerned?

Blue are certainly acceptable, and I expect that red are probably ok as
well.

The crimps in question:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...table_cri mps

have acceptable cable CSAs of 0.25 to 1.65mm^2 on red, and 1.04 to
2.63mm^2 on blue. So the 1.5mm^2 CPC of a 2.5mm^2 T&E would be ok in
either.

The continuous current rating of the red ones is less - at 19A, but I
would anticipate* that their fault current withstand time ought to be
adequate to clear any likely earth fault.

* but don't have figures to hand to confirm - hence why I did not use
one in the photo.

--
Cheers,

John.