Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Dick Snyder Dick Snyder is offline

Default Glue up hell

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:

I am happy to report that I was able to wash the toy box a couple of
times with a sponge, letting it dry between times, and all the glue dust
came off without resorting to resanding and possible applying more stain.
I still don't plan to use white glue again but at least the results were
not quite so painful.

Glad the story has a happy ending.

I don't know any woodworkers that still use white glue. I always use
either yellow glue or Titebond Polyurethane Glue.

The trick to glue is to let it cure until it's solid, but soft and
squishy, then gently scrape it off with a chisel. Be careful not to cut
the wood of course. If you wipe it, you'll often force it into the pores
and stain the wood. Cutting it off after partially cured leaves very
little on the wood. Much easier to deal with.

The polyurethane glues foam up a lot, but are quite sandable. They'll
also give you a longer working time before setup.

So we can look forward to some photos of the finished product soon I
presume?

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Those pictures I just posted have been bugging me. I went back to the
basement and shined a bright light at about a 15 degree angle from the
surface and sure enough those marks are there. I had never noticed them
under any normal lighting conditions but the flash on the camera really
brought them up for some reason. I have more work to do!